Saturday, January 2, 2010

An Affirmation

We seem to really like affirmations in our society.  They are sort of like setting long range, or sometimes short range, goals.  It's kind of like a business plan, but for our souls, if we do them right.

How often do we read in diet books, for instance, about the usefulness of repeating the weight we wish to attain?  Or when setting goals for work about repeating the goal we wish to achieve?

The affirmations out there are numerous.  And sometimes tedious.  But useful, nonetheless.

My favorite, though, comes from a friend.  He was serving as an Auxiliary Board member at the time, or maybe it was just before his service began, I'm not sure.  But either way, I so loved it that I've remembered it for 8 years and now wish to share it with you, dear Reader.

* * * * *

I am generous in prosperity.
I am thankful in adversity.
I am worthy of the trust of my neighbor.
I look upon him with a bright and friendly face.
I am a treasure to the poor.
I am an admonisher to the rich.
I answer the cry of the needy.
I preserve the sanctity of my pledge.
I am fair in my judgment.
I am guarded in my speech.
I am unjust to no man.
I show all meekness to all men.
I am as a lamp to them that walk in darkness.
I am a joy to the sorrowful.
I am a sea for the thirsty.
I am a haven for the distressed.
I uphold and defend the victim of oppression.
I let integrity and uprightness distinguish all my acts.
I am a home for the stranger.
I am a balm to the suffering.
I am a tower of strength for the fugitive.
I am eyes to the blind.
I am a guiding light to the feet of the erring.
I am an ornament to the countenance of truth.
I am a crown to the brow of fidelity.
I am a pillar of the temple of righteousness.
I am a breath of life to the body of mankind.
I am an ensign of the hosts of justice.
I am a luminary above the horizon of virtue.
I am a dew to the soil of the human heart.
I am an ark on the ocean of knowledge.
I am a sun in the heaven of bounty.
I am a gem on the diadem of wisdom.
I am a shining light in the firmament of my generation.
And I am a fruit upon the tree of humility.

* * * * *

I figure if I repeat this often enough, and strive towards it, I may get close someday.

Actually, I've perfected all of them, except the last one.  I still need to work on humility.

2 comments:

  1. "I am an ark on the ocean of knowledge" resonates with me. The journey is the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing great affirmations. Mehran

    ReplyDelete