Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Training

It's pretty warm out there today. Of course, the fact that I was wearing a suit didn't help matters.

What was that? Why was I wearing a suit? Oh, sorry. I was at a celebration of the Master's visit to North America, and had the pleasure of doing a bit of story-telling, as well as a bit of music.

And that, dear Reader, is what I wanted to mention today.

While I was there, I had a wonderful little experience that really reminded me of the power of our intuition.

My job, so to speak, was to play a bit of music with my wife and a friend of ours (Taylor), and to mingle with people and tell them stories of the Master's visit. While I would love to go on and on about all the conversations I had, there is one that really stands out. Well, two, but only one that would interest you.

While I was walking around, I had a copy of The Promulgation of Universal Peace in my hands, and a man came up to me to ask about it.

"Is this", he politely enquired, "the Baha'i Bible?"

"Uhm", I said so eloquently. I mean, I wasn't really sure what to say.

"Not really?" He could see my confusion about how to answer.

"Yeah, not really."

"Oh," he said, realizing why it was hard for me to respond, "it's only one of many."

"Exactly", I said, grateful at his quick explanation.

We talked for a little bit, and I found myself impelled to tell him the story of the revelation of the Kitab-i-Iqan. I talked about how it was revealed in a mere three days, and that Baha'u'llah had written for more than 40 years. He was visibly impressed.

I then asked him if I could read a very short paragraph to him out of the book I was holding. I said that I felt moved to read it to him. Although I didn't say anything, I blame it on that wily concourse on high. He graciously agreed, and I read the following:

"(Baha'u'llah) suffered innumerable ordeals and calamities, but during His lifetime He trained in all regions many souls who were peerless. The purpose of the appearance of the Manifestations of God is the training of the people. That is the only result of Their mission, the real outcome. The outcome of the whole life of Jesus was the training of eleven disciples and two women. Why did He suffer troubles, ordeals and calamities? For the training of these few followers. That was the result of His life. The product of the life of Christ was not the churches but the illumined souls of those who believed in Him. Afterward, they spread His teachings."


He, along with the others who were listening to our conversation, was very moved by this, and read it again himself. He completely agreed with it, and talked about profound this understanding was. In fact, he went on for a few minutes about how wonderful this quote was.

Then he went on his way to talk to some others.

Only after he left did I learn that he was the Archbishop for Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment